There is a large warehouse on the property of Wisconsin Building Supply in Sussex (WBS). If I would model the scene exactly to scale, I wouldn’t have to bother with it. But I wanted to have it on the module and moved it closer to the rails.
There are two buildings on the Wisconsin Building Supply (WBS) lot, that visible in the modelled section. Right behind the fence, near the WBS spur is a “small” warehouse. It has a simple shape and is not too hard to build. Only drawback: It is positioned right above the joint of two modules, so it has to be removed for transport and storage.
When I studied the satellite imagery of the area, I noticed that there is a ramp near the track on the lot of Wisconsin Building Supply. I was surprised. I had not noticed it before. But I like the idea. This makes a great spot for a second car that can be delivered there.
We need more coffee.
We wanted to make another Workshop-Weekend. Because its fun, you can learn new stuff and get something done. And there is enough coffee. As there are still modules left with plywood pacific from last years Workshop-Weekend we wanted to build scenery this time.
Last year, Dirk offered his garage for a Workshop Weekend. This year I left my workbench at home and Invited my friends to spent some time drinking coffee, eating pizza and build modules. We agreed on building only line modules. This time we really did so. Peter and I had discussed the idea of a duck under to make it easier to move to the opposite side of the modules. In total we built 22 new modules or segments of modules.
The ground cover had enough time to dry and I could finally start with something of a higher level: The fence for WBS.
The module has been used at a few meetings in 2017. This month I found the time to continue my work on the landscape. I wanted to mimic the look of an active lime stone quarry, where some rubble has been dumped. But I started with ballasting the track.
After laying the track I started to create the base of the scenery. As a visual key feature this module should contain flooded quarry pits on two of the segments. A ramp leads from one segment into the first pit on the next segment.
After the successful test of this module I continued on building the scenery. I used static grass and fine turf in various shades to create an interesting structure.
After completing the woodwork, I installed the track on the segments for my new module. For an easy setup I installed positioning dowels between all segments before laying the track.
Ad the end of the modules I use a 3 mm piece of beech cut to length to bridge the plywood cover and the module ends. A piece if PCB-ties is glued to this piece with an epoxy glue. For the mainline I add a strip of 3 mm cork as a roadbed. The spurs are directly glued to the plywood thus they are 3 mm below main line level. I am lazy and use my orbital sander to create the transition between mainline level and the plywood.